1889: Mt. San Rafael Hospital's history begins when the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati, Ohio, open a two-story, 40-bed Hospital. Dr. Barron Beshoar generously donates land for the site of the Hospital. The Hospital is named Mt. San Rafael Hospital in memory of a generous benefactor of the Catholic Church, Don Rafael Chacon.
1905: The first training school for nurses west of the Mississippi is opened at Mt. San Rafael, with five students. This school is in operation until 1932.
1906: An addition as large as the original building is added to the Hospital in order to admit more patients and administer better care with improved and expanded facilities.
1907: About 2,000 lots surrounding the hospital are purchased from Dr. Beshoar for "one dollar and other valuable considerations." This is to prevent houses from being built too close to the hospital.
1932: The training school for nurses consolidates with Glockner Hospital in Colorado Springs and St. Mary Corwin Hospital in Pueblo to form the Seton School of Nursing.
1950-1953: In 1950-1953, a Physiotherapy Department is established in the Hospital for the treatment of polio cases in the area. Equipment (including an Iron Lung) is on loan from the National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis for a three-year period.
1955: A school of practical nursing education is organized through Trinidad State Junior College.
1957: A major renovation is completed on the Hospital.
1969: The Hospital is purchased, and comes under new administration by the Trinidad Area Health Association.
1971: A contract is negotiated to construct a complete, new 70-bed Hospital.
1973: The move is completed to the new Joint Commission accredited facility.
1978: A four-bed special care unit is dedicated and opened to further the hospital's capacity to administer to more seriously ill patients.
1979: A 2,000 pound ceramic mural, created by Sister Agusta Zimmer, S. C., of Cincinnati, Ohio, is mted on the wall in the main lobby. The mural, depicting the history of Trinidad, was constructed in pieces and shipped to the hospital from Ohio. It is necessary to reinforce the wall in order to facilitate the weight of the mural.
1993: In June of 1993, the last Sister of Charity to be affiliated with Mt. San Rafael Hospital retires.
2000-2001: Mechanical upgrades and major exterior renovations are completed.
|410 Benedicta Ave. Trinidad, CO 81082 (719) 846-9213|